Skip to main content

More Air Filter Pod Ramblings

I recently ordered these air filter pods from the Internet (cutting out Amazon, just to minimize business with them) before watching a bunch of YouTube builder videos that heavily criticized the quality of these type of cheap pod filters. Each influencer warned viewers avoid these cheapo filters. 

To be honest, I'm not sure why I ordered these since I already have pretty good foam Pods installed.


I was surprised to find that they were decent quality. The filter material was better than I expected and the sealing was fairly good compared to what I was seeing in those builder 'review' videos. I just wanted to throw out my 2 cents on the topic.

I also discovered that the opening wasn't too restrictive, so if spending less than $8 per POD is not too spendy for you, it's OK to give them a shot.

I was teaching myself to do some designing in Tinkercad and thought it might be a neat thought exercise to adapt these pod filters to use the rubber boots from the airbox for a nice smooth airflow into the slide lift ports on the CV Carbs of my cb750. 

Like other pod filter users, I discovered some sputtering when riding in a stiff cross wind as well as some slide flutter on hard acceleration without a downshift (low rpm acceleration) and I wondered if I could minimize that behavior with 3D printing.

Smooth transition into carb throat

It took a few tries, but it came out pretty good printed in PETG, I have no idea if this is at all useful but if this shows an improvement, I may also design and print a tube that extends into the filter area in an effort to tame the airflow even more....

Trim the airbox boots


Filters Oiled and clamped in place


Years ago, I was told the airbox boots were no longer available but I verified they could be purchased new before I trimmed them.  The boots for cylinder 1 & 4 ('Air Box Boot B' ) have curves in them to accomodate the narrower airbox placement/shape but that curve doesn't give me any trouble as far as clearance on installation goes.

When I last checked eBay, a full set of these boots were around $45 but the set I had in my old airbox sitting on the shelf would work (free) even though they were a little tattered from years of removals and installations.

It was low 50s this afternoon, but  I wanted to see how the bike behaved with this minor modification. They did not disappoint on a quick around the neighborhood loop. Once the bike warmed up, that low RPM slide flutter was practically all gone and acceleration was instant. I could hear a slight brief flutter but did not feel any hesitation.  

The cool air was giving me a slight hanging idle but nothing terrible and unrelated to this mod.

If I were to do it again I would:
  • cut the boots longer and smoother
  • use black ABS or Nylon filament (or maybe orange to match the original orange pin stripes on the tank).
EDIT: I can say that this is definitely an improvement after confirming there is no noticeable sputtering riding around local roads with stiff winds on the first really nice (but windy) day of the season. With a cross wind strong enough to push me side ways, the bike ran nice and steady.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

how to open your door when neither handle works

My recently acquired 2003 Honda Accord EX 4 cyl had a faulty door lock actuator in the front passenger side door.  Here is a run down of what I did wrong in case you find yourself in a similiar situation. Shopping for door lock actuators - Prices go from around $10 to over $40. I mistakenly ordered a pair of door lock actuators ($20 for left and right) for a coupe and received 2 black actuators that were not sized correctly for my 4 door sedan which has smaller white actuators. I did not discover the problem until after I had the door panel off and the actuator removed from the door latch assembly. It was hot, the flies were landing on me and drinking my sweat and I just wanted to button the door back up and stay cool inside so I searched for the closest parts store that had the part in stock and went there to buy it for $45. (I did return the 2 wrong parts but did not get a full refund, but I'm ok with that...$16 back in my pocket is better than $0) Reassembling the door l

Universal Speedometer/Tachometer install

I wanted to replace my original speedometer and tachometer for something more compact. I'm not sure why, but the original 85mph speedometer always bothered me. I guess I felt like the bike deserved better even though I've only pinned it once in 10 years of riding.   After casually looking around and almost pulling the trigger on a cheaper universal speedo with an analog sweep needle for the tach, I stumbled across this product. It can be found in all the usual places such as Amazon and eBay but it's usually buried behind 2 or 3 pages of search results with vastly different prices ranging from mid 40s to mid 80s (US$). The description typically includes a listing of what each wire is intended to be connected to, but in typical fashion for these kinds of imported products the English translation leaves a lot to be desired. For example: the product detail notes: "Oil Quantity Indicator" as one of the display areas, but they really mean fuel level (my bike doesn't

GSX-R750 Caruretor swap for the CB750c Part1

As an owner of an early 80s cb750, it quickly becomes obvious that the CV carburetors on these old motorcycles require the original airbox to run properly. It would seem like a minor price to pay for the reliability and dependability that we get with the design since no jetting changes are needed as we change altititude or swap exhausts. The constant vacuum (CV) design automatically compensates for the difference and keeps the bike running happily. Just don't change the airbox or use anything other than the original style airfilter. I got my bike running perfectly so I'm either a glutton for punishment or just a dumb geek who can't leave stuff alone. "If it aint broke, fix it until it is" might be my motto. People tell me I wouldn't be happy with a new bike because there would be nothing to fix. Maybe it's just a way for me to keep my mind busy so I don't have to think how much I hate my job. I started noticing some posts from people on cb1100f