Skip to main content

Low Beam Bulb Replacement on the NC Miata

I've been wanting to upgrade the headlight bulbs on my Miata ever since I got it almost 5 years ago and I figured I should probably do it now before I need to drive home in the dark this winter. 

I didn't want to be forced to do it when a light burns out because I wanted the luxury of doing it when I had light and warm weather.

I picked up a $12 set of LED H7 Bulbs on eBay (free shipping) hoping that LED bulb technology has advanced far enough for them to be useful. I was specifically looking for lights where the chip is very nearly at the same distance as the original halogen bulb so the optics in the headlamp assembly's reflector won't act too weird. This is termed "1:1 design form factor".





Passenger side:

-remove the windshield washer fluid tank with a 10mm socket.  There is 1 bolt and a nut.

-press the tiny button on the plug for the bulb and pull it straight back. I was pulling for 10 minutes before I discovered the dumb button and needed to review the comments on a youtube video before I knew to look for it.

-pull the rubber grommet straight back to expose the mounted bulb.

-the actual bulb is mounted to an adapter. Take a look at the orientation before you swap bulbs.

-reinstall in reverse order of removal ;)

-pay special attention to match the notch on the adapter to the headlight mounting surface



-don't wait too long to do the driver side because you will need the muscle memory to work the driver side bulb off, working blind


Driver side:

-jackup front of car

-remove wheel

-unfasten fender liner and fold it back enough to work your hand in there to work. I use a bungee cord to hold it back out of the way.  This is really not as bad as it sounds. There's barely any room around the fuse box, though you could try to unbolt it.

-you might be able to peer down the side of the fuse box while you work your hand under the fender liner to get a view of what your hand is doing. I had to use my phone to take a picture to figure out how and where the spring retainer goes.


black adapter is not aligned properly in the base's slot



Alas, the beam pattern is not as bright as the 20k lumens it is advertised to be (10k lumens per side should be plenty bright). The driver side beam seems to not be aimed properly and I'm wondering if something is not seated properly (improper alignment made the beam pattern incorrect on the driver side).

I'm going to need to take another look.

Some listings note that these style bulbs are not suitable for projector beams, but they have reflectors just like regular headlights, so I'm not sure if this should be a concern.

*** One week later ***


I picked up the LED bulb on the right that is also 1:1 sized but includes active cooling in the form of a tiny fan at the base of the bulb which should improve on the likelihood of hitting the claimed 10k Lumens per bulb.  I think Walmart beats Amazon by a buck or two on this particular product.

product link:
The instructions for these bulbs suggest ensuring that the LED chips face the 3 and 9 o'Clock positions when installed, but the bulbs can't be adjusted and there's no way to adjust bulb position on the Miata either. Standard orientation results in the chips facing 12 and 6 positions which should be fine also.

Now that I have experience changing these bulbs a 2nd time, I was able to swap them in about 20 mins.

The $37 lights from Walmart are significantly brighter. The active cooling definitely allows the manufacturer to run brighter, more powerful LEDs but despite the brighter lights they still don't quite throw enough light down the road to illuminate very far, so I'll leave the high beams as halogens. This could pose a reaction time issue when traveling faster than the speed limit on the highway because you might not see far ahead enough to avoid an obstacle in the road.

I suspect the temperature color (more yellow) lends to the visibility/contrast.  

I'm hoping that the tiny cooling fans have room/clearance to do their work reliably. There were no complaints from oncoming drivers during my test run.



Caution: Beam patterns in these night pictures seem much brighter than in real life. The camera exposure can't reproduce the dimness that I perceive from the driver seat.


$12 eBay Lights on Street



$37 Lights on Street




$12 eBay Lights on Garage Door

$37 Lights on Garage Door






$12 light



$37 light

















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

how to open your door when neither handle works

My recently acquired 2003 Honda Accord EX 4 cyl had a faulty door lock actuator in the front passenger side door.  Here is a run down of what I did wrong in case you find yourself in a similiar situation. Shopping for door lock actuators - Prices go from around $10 to over $40. I mistakenly ordered a pair of door lock actuators ($20 for left and right) for a coupe and received 2 black actuators that were not sized correctly for my 4 door sedan which has smaller white actuators. I did not discover the problem until after I had the door panel off and the actuator removed from the door latch assembly. It was hot, the flies were landing on me and drinking my sweat and I just wanted to button the door back up and stay cool inside so I searched for the closest parts store that had the part in stock and went there to buy it for $45. (I did return the 2 wrong parts but did not get a full refund, but I'm ok with that...$16 back in my pocket is better than $0) Reassembling the door l

Universal Speedometer/Tachometer install

I wanted to replace my original speedometer and tachometer for something more compact. I'm not sure why, but the original 85mph speedometer always bothered me. I guess I felt like the bike deserved better even though I've only pinned it once in 10 years of riding.   After casually looking around and almost pulling the trigger on a cheaper universal speedo with an analog sweep needle for the tach, I stumbled across this product. It can be found in all the usual places such as Amazon and eBay but it's usually buried behind 2 or 3 pages of search results with vastly different prices ranging from mid 40s to mid 80s (US$). The description typically includes a listing of what each wire is intended to be connected to, but in typical fashion for these kinds of imported products the English translation leaves a lot to be desired. For example: the product detail notes: "Oil Quantity Indicator" as one of the display areas, but they really mean fuel level (my bike doesn't

GSX-R750 Caruretor swap for the CB750c Part1

As an owner of an early 80s cb750, it quickly becomes obvious that the CV carburetors on these old motorcycles require the original airbox to run properly. It would seem like a minor price to pay for the reliability and dependability that we get with the design since no jetting changes are needed as we change altititude or swap exhausts. The constant vacuum (CV) design automatically compensates for the difference and keeps the bike running happily. Just don't change the airbox or use anything other than the original style airfilter. I got my bike running perfectly so I'm either a glutton for punishment or just a dumb geek who can't leave stuff alone. "If it aint broke, fix it until it is" might be my motto. People tell me I wouldn't be happy with a new bike because there would be nothing to fix. Maybe it's just a way for me to keep my mind busy so I don't have to think how much I hate my job. I started noticing some posts from people on cb1100f