Skip to main content

1980 Honda CB750c brake upgrade part 1

I recently came across a blogger post for upgrading the single piston front brake caliper for a Honda CX500 using the dual piston brake caliper from a 1982 cb900. I had been researching bolt-on upgrades to improve the braking ability as well as the brake feel for my old CB750c.

I wanted improved braking. The cb750 brake lever has a wooden feel and requires a fair amount of pressure for a decent stop. My suspicion is that disk brake technology was so new that the engineers didn't really have time to figure out all the details they needed for effective brakes.  These poor disk brakes were already a big improvement over the original drum front brakes.

My experience on a new Vulcan 500 convinced me it could be done because it has great brakes with good feel and the configuration is single disk with a single piston caliper just like my 750.

My next hurdle was deciding what caliper I would use in my upgrade since I had 2 left calipers. With only 2 auctions, I inadvertently purchased 1981 cb750f, 1982 cb900c, and 1985 vf500 calipers. One left caliper with 30mm pistons, and one left caliper with 32mm pistons. The right 30mm piston caliper was either for parts or to put up for sale at my first opportunity since I didn't think I would be going to a dual disk dual caliper setup this year (or ever with this bike).


I found this brake ratio chart (now defunct) which explained a great deal about why I needed so much lever effort to stop my bike (4 finger squeeze vs the 1 or 2 finger squeeze on the Vulcan 500). My cb750c has a single piston caliper that measures 43mm and the master cylinder piston measures 14mm. These numbers give me a brake ratio of 9.43 using the table in the brake ratio chart and some handy junior high school math to calculate the area of a circle since my 43mm piston is not calculated in the chart. (The brake ratio chart page also discusses what the preferred ratios should be. )

I calculated that upgrading the single 43mm caliper to a dual piston 30mm caliper from the cb900 (or cb750f) is actually a downgrade because the brake leverage ratio falls to 9.18 from 9.43 (target ratio is 12-14). This would cause a more abrupt braking behavior and require slightly more hand effort in pulling the brake lever. The VF500 Interceptor brakes are 32mm and bolt on to the cb750f caliper bracket (Hooray for eBay mishaps). This caliper would give me a ratio of 10.42, still not good, but an improvement from the original setup. 

A smaller piston master cylinder is in store but thinking about the disk brake to wheel ratio also needs to be considered.  If you have a larger rotor to tire ratio, that rotor will have a higher leverage (example: 19" wheel with 15" rotor or roughly 80%) you would choose a master cylinder at the lower end of the leverage ratio.  If you have a smaller rotor to tire ratio (example: 19" wheel with a 10" rotor or roughly 53%) you would choose a master cylinder at the higher end of the leverage ratio.

NOTE: higher leverage will produce more lever travel. Steel braided lines are advised.

Target leverage ratio (choose the lower target number for larger rotors and the higher target for smaller rotors): 
  • single caliper: 12-14 
  • dual caliper: 24-28

here is a similar table to the brake ratio chart linked above with additional calculations:
Click for larger image



My final hurdle was dealing with a very slight rubbing with the caliper bracket since the cb750f must have a thinner and lighter rotor. I removed a little of the bracket material to give the rotor some clearance and will wait for some pads and time to bed them in for a test ride



Another reason for upgrading to a dual piston caliper is because the caliper has more pad choices. I'm installing EBC fa69/HH pads, I don't believe the high performance pads are available for the old single piston calipers. I also plan on upgrading the master cylinder to a smaller 12.7mm (or 1/2") piston bore unit currently available on eBay for a very reasonable $50 including shipping. This should bring my brake ratio between 12 and 13.

Photobucket

here's the formula, since the website no longer exists:

remember the formula from high school math? area=pi * r^2

x= caliper piston area (3.14*(piston diameter/2)^2) * ( # of pistons)

y= piston area of master (3.14*(piston diameter/2)^2)

leverage ratio = x/y


coming up:

cb900 Cam drop in upgrade

Comments

  1. Have a 81 cb900c. Thinking an upgrade will this work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it depends on the mounting holes on the forks. Honda used 2 types of mounts, a wider spaced mount and a shorter spaced mount like on my bike. If you look at a bunch of the early 80s bikes you'll begin to see a difference in the mounting hole distance and then you can buy according to what looks like it will fit.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

how to open your door when neither handle works

My recently acquired 2003 Honda Accord EX 4 cyl had a faulty door lock actuator in the front passenger side door.  Here is a run down of what I did wrong in case you find yourself in a similiar situation. Shopping for door lock actuators - Prices go from around $10 to over $40. I mistakenly ordered a pair of door lock actuators ($20 for left and right) for a coupe and received 2 black actuators that were not sized correctly for my 4 door sedan which has smaller white actuators. I did not discover the problem until after I had the door panel off and the actuator removed from the door latch assembly. It was hot, the flies were landing on me and drinking my sweat and I just wanted to button the door back up and stay cool inside so I searched for the closest parts store that had the part in stock and went there to buy it for $45. (I did return the 2 wrong parts but did not get a full refund, but I'm ok with that...$16 back in my pocket is better than $0) Reassembling the door l

Universal Speedometer/Tachometer install

I wanted to replace my original speedometer and tachometer for something more compact. I'm not sure why, but the original 85mph speedometer always bothered me. I guess I felt like the bike deserved better even though I've only pinned it once in 10 years of riding.   After casually looking around and almost pulling the trigger on a cheaper universal speedo with an analog sweep needle for the tach, I stumbled across this product. It can be found in all the usual places such as Amazon and eBay but it's usually buried behind 2 or 3 pages of search results with vastly different prices ranging from mid 40s to mid 80s (US$). The description typically includes a listing of what each wire is intended to be connected to, but in typical fashion for these kinds of imported products the English translation leaves a lot to be desired. For example: the product detail notes: "Oil Quantity Indicator" as one of the display areas, but they really mean fuel level (my bike doesn't

GSX-R750 Caruretor swap for the CB750c Part1

As an owner of an early 80s cb750, it quickly becomes obvious that the CV carburetors on these old motorcycles require the original airbox to run properly. It would seem like a minor price to pay for the reliability and dependability that we get with the design since no jetting changes are needed as we change altititude or swap exhausts. The constant vacuum (CV) design automatically compensates for the difference and keeps the bike running happily. Just don't change the airbox or use anything other than the original style airfilter. I got my bike running perfectly so I'm either a glutton for punishment or just a dumb geek who can't leave stuff alone. "If it aint broke, fix it until it is" might be my motto. People tell me I wouldn't be happy with a new bike because there would be nothing to fix. Maybe it's just a way for me to keep my mind busy so I don't have to think how much I hate my job. I started noticing some posts from people on cb1100f