Skip to main content

CB750 Winter 2010 project - Cams and Coils.


Upgrading the performance of an early 80s cb750 using the camshafts from a cb900 is not only cost efficient, but doable for the shade tree DIYer thanks to the existence of forum experts and the wealth of searchable knowledge from others who have asked the same questions before. I found a set of cb900 cams on ebay for small change last year (under $30 shipped). There are lots of folks parting old motorcycles and DOHC cb750s and cb900s sold well enough to support bike dismantling to keep the existing bikes on the road for years to come. Since there are so few people actually riding these classic bikes, there's not alot of competition for many of the parts. With the exception of carburetors, most parts can be acquired for a reasonable amount on ebay. So what will 900 cams do for a 750? From the seat of the pants, there is expected to be a very noticeable gain in midrange performance with most owners exclaiming the upgrade to be well worth the effort even though some of them experienced problems with removing or installing. One poster suggested +10hp @ 10k RPM and +3 ft/lb torque @ 7k RPM using engine peformance software to calculate the improvement, although it has been thought to be optimistic for a bike that rolled out of the dealership 30 years ago with 72hp @ 9k RPM.

I needed to replace the 30 year old valve cover gasket and grommets, but had some cash flow issues this winter so decided to re-use the valve cover gasket one more time since it was still fairly soft and pliable. Instead of RTV silicone, I used grease on the 4 small corners of the VC gasket near the ends of the cams. Since I couldn't afford a new valve cover gasket, I decided to try only buying new bolt seals in the hopes of getting the valve cover tight enough to not leak. The bolt seals are responsible for the clamping pressure to keep the valve cover tight.


I did not have a small torque wrench to torque down the camshaft holders and though the recommended torque of 9 ft lbs is not alot, I was not confident of getting properly tightened bolts by manually torqueing them down using only my small 1/4" socket. The 2 long bolts holding down the oil tube seemed to need more attention even though all the other bolts felt like they were snug. I needed to find a torque wrench and my big one for the wheels on my car doesn't even go down to 10 ft/lbs. I picked up a 3/8" torque wrench from harbor freight and proceeded to overtighten all the camshaft holders down when I realized the torque wrench wasn't clicking. I decided to check the wrench on the lugs nuts on my car and no clicking at 9 ft lbs even though the car was moving with my weight. I ended up returning the faulting torque wrench to Harbor freight and exchanging it for a 1/4" torque wrench. Then I loosened each bolt and re-torqued as insurance against future failures.


The factory service manual covers the procedure of cam removal and install very well. The big problem with the procedure is the potential to break the brittle hardened steel bolts that hold the cam caps down. The bolts are torqued down to 9ft/lbs and definitely should not exceed 11 ft/lbs while gradually tightening the cam caps in a criss-cross pattern to ensure that the cams are tightened down evenly. Pay attention to what you disassemble and keep everything sorted instead of one big pile of parts. I kept my parts grouped by camshaft holder.


Make sure to stuff a towel down where the cam chain connects with the crank. There is a real potential of losing a bolt or nut down in the recess.

* * *


Honda CBR Coils are a cost effective improvement for the weak ignition system that came standard on the DOHC Hondas. Used coils are plug and play and reportedly throw a much more intense spark than the original units. The advantage is improved combustion and driveability though there are no expected horsepower gains.


The CBR Coils are shorter than the OEM Coils so you will need to either zip-tie or drill a hole for one of the mounting spots on the frame.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

how to open your door when neither handle works

My recently acquired 2003 Honda Accord EX 4 cyl had a faulty door lock actuator in the front passenger side door.  Here is a run down of what I did wrong in case you find yourself in a similiar situation. Shopping for door lock actuators - Prices go from around $10 to over $40. I mistakenly ordered a pair of door lock actuators ($20 for left and right) for a coupe and received 2 black actuators that were not sized correctly for my 4 door sedan which has smaller white actuators. I did not discover the problem until after I had the door panel off and the actuator removed from the door latch assembly. It was hot, the flies were landing on me and drinking my sweat and I just wanted to button the door back up and stay cool inside so I searched for the closest parts store that had the part in stock and went there to buy it for $45. (I did return the 2 wrong parts but did not get a full refund, but I'm ok with that...$16 back in my pocket is better than $0) Reassembling the door l

Universal Speedometer/Tachometer install

I wanted to replace my original speedometer and tachometer for something more compact. I'm not sure why, but the original 85mph speedometer always bothered me. I guess I felt like the bike deserved better even though I've only pinned it once in 10 years of riding.   After casually looking around and almost pulling the trigger on a cheaper universal speedo with an analog sweep needle for the tach, I stumbled across this product. It can be found in all the usual places such as Amazon and eBay but it's usually buried behind 2 or 3 pages of search results with vastly different prices ranging from mid 40s to mid 80s (US$). The description typically includes a listing of what each wire is intended to be connected to, but in typical fashion for these kinds of imported products the English translation leaves a lot to be desired. For example: the product detail notes: "Oil Quantity Indicator" as one of the display areas, but they really mean fuel level (my bike doesn't

GSX-R750 Caruretor swap for the CB750c Part1

As an owner of an early 80s cb750, it quickly becomes obvious that the CV carburetors on these old motorcycles require the original airbox to run properly. It would seem like a minor price to pay for the reliability and dependability that we get with the design since no jetting changes are needed as we change altititude or swap exhausts. The constant vacuum (CV) design automatically compensates for the difference and keeps the bike running happily. Just don't change the airbox or use anything other than the original style airfilter. I got my bike running perfectly so I'm either a glutton for punishment or just a dumb geek who can't leave stuff alone. "If it aint broke, fix it until it is" might be my motto. People tell me I wouldn't be happy with a new bike because there would be nothing to fix. Maybe it's just a way for me to keep my mind busy so I don't have to think how much I hate my job. I started noticing some posts from people on cb1100f