Skip to main content

Finding a proper fitting helmet


I hope if you are reading this, you understand the importance of wearing helmets. There are plenty of articles with statistics and studies that prove wearing a helmet is better than not wearing one, but if you are one of those people who don't think it looks cool or believe the misinformation perpetuated by well meaning buddies, please stop reading and find somewhere else to surf.

There are alot of styles, colors and designs to choose from when shopping for a helmet but if you can't find a properly fitting helmet, your riding experience will be marred by terrible headaches and/or burning hotspots. If you can't wear your helmet longer than 30 minutes you'll likely choose not to wear the protection inorder to keep riding just to get home.

I was cursed with an unusual shaped head all my life and so will my son. Looking at my grade school pictures (and my son's), I can easily make out the egg shape of my head. Wide at the top over my ears and tapering down below my ears.

My first helmet, a very nice HJC IS Max was fine at first, but very quickly became unbearable to wear on my first road trip as soon as I hit the 30 minute mark. The excruciating pain on either side of my head above the ears progressed to the point where I couldn't concentrate enough to ride safely and the only thing I could think of was taking the helmet off.

The pain and headache stayed with me for atleast 4 hours that day after taking the helmet off so pulling into a rest stop was simply not the best option. Luckily, my wife and kids were following in a car and I could switch with her until the pain subsided. After we got home I did some research and discovered that helmets are made for different shaped heads. I found an article that detailed the base head shapes round, earth, oval, egg, reverse egg that don't quite match the naming convention that Arai uses for their helmets (oval, long oval, etc).

Of all the helmet manufacturers only Arai has a head shape classification. While the other manufactures do make helmets for different headshapes, there is nothing in the description to designate a helmet for round heads, oval heads or egg heads like me. This pretty much leaves fitting a helmet to finding a store and trying each and every helmet on for roughly 30-60 minutes. While this approach is not impossible it can make finding the right helmet take a long time.

After pondering this for a little while, I decided that the issue is due to the compression of the foam padding in the helmet liner. My HJC felt fine and fit pretty good until the foam compressed enough to impress the incompatible shapes of my helmet and my head against each other. This took roughly 20 minutes to start feeling painful progressing to impossible to wear after 30 minutes.

I decided to remove the foam liner and try on my HJC the next day and discovered instant pain since there was no foam to hide the non-conforming shapes inside the helmet. After this I ordered an AGV Mille Miglia and decided to try it on sans helmet liner and was pleased to find that there were no hotspots meaning the interior shape of the AGV was much more compatible to my egg shaped noggin even though it felt damn near impossible to put on over my head, once I was wearing it, everything felt pretty good.


Remember, helmets need to fit snugly to offer the proper protection. The outer shell of the helmet is for abrasion and penetration protection and the styrofoam inner core is for impact protection allowing your head to decelerate in a controlled manner on impact so your brain doesn't crash into the inside of your skull. If your helmet is loose, your head will not properly decelerate on impact because it will need to close the gap inside the poor fitting helmet first.

There is a popular saying: "you get what you pay for". While I'm not sure this is actually true, it seems like an excellent marketing slogan. I suspect in this day and age with manufacturing in far off and cheap places, you could very likely get more than you pay for especially when you compare products manufactured in different countries (ie China vs Japan).


references:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-faq.htm

also helpful:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-shapes.htm

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

how to open your door when neither handle works

My recently acquired 2003 Honda Accord EX 4 cyl had a faulty door lock actuator in the front passenger side door.  Here is a run down of what I did wrong in case you find yourself in a similiar situation. Shopping for door lock actuators - Prices go from around $10 to over $40. I mistakenly ordered a pair of door lock actuators ($20 for left and right) for a coupe and received 2 black actuators that were not sized correctly for my 4 door sedan which has smaller white actuators. I did not discover the problem until after I had the door panel off and the actuator removed from the door latch assembly. It was hot, the flies were landing on me and drinking my sweat and I just wanted to button the door back up and stay cool inside so I searched for the closest parts store that had the part in stock and went there to buy it for $45. (I did return the 2 wrong parts but did not get a full refund, but I'm ok with that...$16 back in my pocket is better than $0) Reassembling the door l

Universal Speedometer/Tachometer install

I wanted to replace my original speedometer and tachometer for something more compact. I'm not sure why, but the original 85mph speedometer always bothered me. I guess I felt like the bike deserved better even though I've only pinned it once in 10 years of riding.   After casually looking around and almost pulling the trigger on a cheaper universal speedo with an analog sweep needle for the tach, I stumbled across this product. It can be found in all the usual places such as Amazon and eBay but it's usually buried behind 2 or 3 pages of search results with vastly different prices ranging from mid 40s to mid 80s (US$). The description typically includes a listing of what each wire is intended to be connected to, but in typical fashion for these kinds of imported products the English translation leaves a lot to be desired. For example: the product detail notes: "Oil Quantity Indicator" as one of the display areas, but they really mean fuel level (my bike doesn't

GSX-R750 Caruretor swap for the CB750c Part1

As an owner of an early 80s cb750, it quickly becomes obvious that the CV carburetors on these old motorcycles require the original airbox to run properly. It would seem like a minor price to pay for the reliability and dependability that we get with the design since no jetting changes are needed as we change altititude or swap exhausts. The constant vacuum (CV) design automatically compensates for the difference and keeps the bike running happily. Just don't change the airbox or use anything other than the original style airfilter. I got my bike running perfectly so I'm either a glutton for punishment or just a dumb geek who can't leave stuff alone. "If it aint broke, fix it until it is" might be my motto. People tell me I wouldn't be happy with a new bike because there would be nothing to fix. Maybe it's just a way for me to keep my mind busy so I don't have to think how much I hate my job. I started noticing some posts from people on cb1100f