Skip to main content

The Failure of outsourcing and unsustainable growth

I'm sure this is not the perfect place to put this post but when I'm wrenching or riding or driving, my mind tends to contemplate other things that might have caught my fleeting attention at some point in the past. It's even more interesting when I'm able to connect 2 seemingly unrelated topics so here goes.



Unsustainable growth

If people never stopped growing physically, we would probably be 20ft tall by the time we die of all the consussions from hitting our heads on low hanging objects or from bending over just to fit into our homes. If the world population continued growing, the world would run out of space for everyone but not before our small blue planet ran out of food, clean water and natural resources.

When corporations go public, they sell off part of the company in exchange for cash. When people buy stocks in the initial public offering, they are paying the company for a small piece of the pie. Stock holders demand continuous growth or the stock price is pummeled. The corporations are eager to please the stock holder because retirement and pay packages are often padded with stocks so it is often in the best interest of the corporate leadership to keep the stock price high for their own personal advantage.

One of the side effects of directly linking the stockprice valuation with corporate salaries is the pursuit of short term gains.

One factor that might affect a company's profit margin is costs. if they can reduce costs, the profit margin rises. Moving jobs or manufacturing offshore using an outsource model enables a company to pay much lower wages as well as avoid medical coverage. This is no different than using illegal immigrant labor which gets plenty of negative sentiment in the media but the difference is fairly important. Outsourced labor replaces jobs that middle class people want compared to the menial labor performed by illegal immigrants which most Americans don't care to compete for.

The implications of outsourcing are vast at the macro level as well as the micro level. With fewer people paying into medical insurance, the premiums rise dramatically for the remaining insured (since the number of people paying into the insurance is not able to allow the medical insurance companies to operate profitably).

Government economic stimulation ends up stimulating other countries since mostly everything is now made offshore. Taxpayers get a small check which they end up spending at Walmart. The federal reserve would like to devalue the dollar in order to reduce the trade deficit by making american goods comparitively cheaper, this will drive up inflation and have little impact to the trade deficit because most everything is manafactured in cheaper 3rd world countries.

So we have companies that embrace outsourcing resources because it increases profit margins, you also have the US Govt emracing outsourced manufacturing because it artificially keeps the reported rate of inflation at a low percentage year over year.

The failure of outsourcing

Corporations tout the cost savings from outsourcing but they haven't fully understood the longer term effects of the new working culture as a result of outsourcing. Delays associated to time zone differences, loss of accountability, poor quality, increased processes and red tape to ensure work is properly completed.

It has been argued that there are not enough skilled technical resources to handle the demand of corporations but if companies don't have the demand for skilled technical resources in the US there will be no demand for training them in the first place.

In India, automobile and motorcycle mechanics are all over the place and willing to repair your vehicles for you for next to no money, so the path of least resistance is to let them fix it and before you know it, you have a generation of adults with no idea what to do when the car or motorcycle stops moving.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

how to open your door when neither handle works

My recently acquired 2003 Honda Accord EX 4 cyl had a faulty door lock actuator in the front passenger side door.  Here is a run down of what I did wrong in case you find yourself in a similiar situation. Shopping for door lock actuators - Prices go from around $10 to over $40. I mistakenly ordered a pair of door lock actuators ($20 for left and right) for a coupe and received 2 black actuators that were not sized correctly for my 4 door sedan which has smaller white actuators. I did not discover the problem until after I had the door panel off and the actuator removed from the door latch assembly. It was hot, the flies were landing on me and drinking my sweat and I just wanted to button the door back up and stay cool inside so I searched for the closest parts store that had the part in stock and went there to buy it for $45. (I did return the 2 wrong parts but did not get a full refund, but I'm ok with that...$16 back in my pocket is better than $0) Reassembling the door l

Universal Speedometer/Tachometer install

I wanted to replace my original speedometer and tachometer for something more compact. I'm not sure why, but the original 85mph speedometer always bothered me. I guess I felt like the bike deserved better even though I've only pinned it once in 10 years of riding.   After casually looking around and almost pulling the trigger on a cheaper universal speedo with an analog sweep needle for the tach, I stumbled across this product. It can be found in all the usual places such as Amazon and eBay but it's usually buried behind 2 or 3 pages of search results with vastly different prices ranging from mid 40s to mid 80s (US$). The description typically includes a listing of what each wire is intended to be connected to, but in typical fashion for these kinds of imported products the English translation leaves a lot to be desired. For example: the product detail notes: "Oil Quantity Indicator" as one of the display areas, but they really mean fuel level (my bike doesn't

GSX-R750 Caruretor swap for the CB750c Part1

As an owner of an early 80s cb750, it quickly becomes obvious that the CV carburetors on these old motorcycles require the original airbox to run properly. It would seem like a minor price to pay for the reliability and dependability that we get with the design since no jetting changes are needed as we change altititude or swap exhausts. The constant vacuum (CV) design automatically compensates for the difference and keeps the bike running happily. Just don't change the airbox or use anything other than the original style airfilter. I got my bike running perfectly so I'm either a glutton for punishment or just a dumb geek who can't leave stuff alone. "If it aint broke, fix it until it is" might be my motto. People tell me I wouldn't be happy with a new bike because there would be nothing to fix. Maybe it's just a way for me to keep my mind busy so I don't have to think how much I hate my job. I started noticing some posts from people on cb1100f