Skip to main content

Starting summer with the cb750

My gixxer carbs are pretty much sorted out. During the spring I thought I would use some prefilters (made from my son's old tShirt) over the pods to create additional restriction to increase vacuum and increase slide lift. Unfortunately this needed to be removed once the weather warmed up because the bike started to run a bit too rich and I was stalling coming to a stop.

No flat spots. Easy cold starts. Significant performance improvement and I'm still seeing approximately 41mpg. The old girl runs real nice now and the only things I need to address are the windshield angle, fuel line routing, front fork seal leaking (even though I've replaced it 2 times already.)

I replaced the rear wheel bearing a few weeks ago and had trouble doing the swap. The factory service manual states to fully seat the bearings, but for my 750, I discovered that the drum side bearing cannot be fully seated inorder to get everything properly installed on the other side of the wheel. Pictures of the installed bearings *before* removing them will save alot of headache and uneccesary bearing purchases.

After all this work on my bike I have to say she runs pretty well, but I can't help wondering how a nice new bike would feel on the roads I take. The magazines like to say buy one to ride and one to polish but I've got no patience to clean and polish any bike so I'm not sure where this leaves me. the 2011 Ninja 1000, the Triumph Street Triple and the Versys looks pretty cool for new or slightly used bikes.

Fuel injection seems like such a great idea whenever I'm debugging the running issues on my 2 wheeled beast. All the rattles and knocks from my 30 year old bike sometimes takes away from my enjoyment of the ride and even though I've got more power than when the old girl was stock, I think I need more power (and higher MPG).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

how to open your door when neither handle works

My recently acquired 2003 Honda Accord EX 4 cyl had a faulty door lock actuator in the front passenger side door.  Here is a run down of what I did wrong in case you find yourself in a similiar situation. Shopping for door lock actuators - Prices go from around $10 to over $40. I mistakenly ordered a pair of door lock actuators ($20 for left and right) for a coupe and received 2 black actuators that were not sized correctly for my 4 door sedan which has smaller white actuators. I did not discover the problem until after I had the door panel off and the actuator removed from the door latch assembly. It was hot, the flies were landing on me and drinking my sweat and I just wanted to button the door back up and stay cool inside so I searched for the closest parts store that had the part in stock and went there to buy it for $45. (I did return the 2 wrong parts but did not get a full refund, but I'm ok with that...$16 back in my pocket is better than $0) Reassembling the door l

Universal Speedometer/Tachometer install

I wanted to replace my original speedometer and tachometer for something more compact. I'm not sure why, but the original 85mph speedometer always bothered me. I guess I felt like the bike deserved better even though I've only pinned it once in 10 years of riding.   After casually looking around and almost pulling the trigger on a cheaper universal speedo with an analog sweep needle for the tach, I stumbled across this product. It can be found in all the usual places such as Amazon and eBay but it's usually buried behind 2 or 3 pages of search results with vastly different prices ranging from mid 40s to mid 80s (US$). The description typically includes a listing of what each wire is intended to be connected to, but in typical fashion for these kinds of imported products the English translation leaves a lot to be desired. For example: the product detail notes: "Oil Quantity Indicator" as one of the display areas, but they really mean fuel level (my bike doesn't

GSX-R750 Caruretor swap for the CB750c Part1

As an owner of an early 80s cb750, it quickly becomes obvious that the CV carburetors on these old motorcycles require the original airbox to run properly. It would seem like a minor price to pay for the reliability and dependability that we get with the design since no jetting changes are needed as we change altititude or swap exhausts. The constant vacuum (CV) design automatically compensates for the difference and keeps the bike running happily. Just don't change the airbox or use anything other than the original style airfilter. I got my bike running perfectly so I'm either a glutton for punishment or just a dumb geek who can't leave stuff alone. "If it aint broke, fix it until it is" might be my motto. People tell me I wouldn't be happy with a new bike because there would be nothing to fix. Maybe it's just a way for me to keep my mind busy so I don't have to think how much I hate my job. I started noticing some posts from people on cb1100f