Skip to main content

Needs vs Wants

We humans actually need very little to keep going. Food, a warm place to sleep, clean water and clothes. For just about everything else in our lives, there are marketing departments that exist for the purpose of getting people to move items from the "Want" list to the "Need" list.


Many years ago, the United States of America was a manufacturing country. Most everyone who worked played a part in making something. Somewhere along the way, it was determined that for the economy to continue to grow (remember that continued growth is unsustainable), the workers would have to be convinced to buy the products they helped to manufacture. This same phenomenon is happening in China today because they are getting to the point where they are manufacturing more than they can export.


Today, media and entertainment are just vehicles for delivering marketing to the masses. Commercials between songs, product placement in movies all help in generating desire for both low and high dollar items for which there is simply no frame of reference in some countries.


Do you think the family living in Siberia that sleeps in the kitchen for warmth at nite would understand the cache of owning a Louis Vitton handbag that would probably cost more than the family's combined annual salary?


How might daily lives be affected without marketing? Our houses might be smaller since we don't need to store all the stuff we buy. Our required salaries would be smaller because we wouldn't need to pay the mortgage on the big houses that also require heating and cooling. Our carbon footprints would be smaller due to the lesser demand on power to heat and cool our smaller homes and to drive our smaller vehicles. Peak oil might be pushed out 10 or 20 years due to the reduced demand for energy. People would be generally happier because they wouldn't have so many things on their "Need" list that they can't have.

While we may not be able to outlaw the marketing profession, it would be helpful just to understand the impact of marketing and take a step back from the commercials. If you can't stop your kids from watching TV, ask them to mute the commercials.

There's a movement to simplify and declutter lives out there. I've seen the term "rightsizing" and "minimalist living" used.

My children's cousins stay over sometimes and they usually bring handheld gaming devices, ipads, laptops, smartphones and portable DVD players. I think my electric bill goes up everytime they come. Something always gets left behind and they alway turn around to get it when someone finds the item(s) 10 minutes after they leave.

I'm guilty also. I now have 2 motorcycles. Did I really need to spend $10k on a motorcycle when I already had one that works? I only have 1 butt and it's not a primary form of transportation so I'll probably get to ride each one a few times a month at the most because I'm too busy working to pay the mortgage on a house big enough for me and my family's stuff.

On top of my family's wants and needs, my motorcycles have wants and needs too. Tank pads, fork seals the list goes on. Good my bikes don't watch TV or I'd be in trouble.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

how to open your door when neither handle works

My recently acquired 2003 Honda Accord EX 4 cyl had a faulty door lock actuator in the front passenger side door.  Here is a run down of what I did wrong in case you find yourself in a similiar situation. Shopping for door lock actuators - Prices go from around $10 to over $40. I mistakenly ordered a pair of door lock actuators ($20 for left and right) for a coupe and received 2 black actuators that were not sized correctly for my 4 door sedan which has smaller white actuators. I did not discover the problem until after I had the door panel off and the actuator removed from the door latch assembly. It was hot, the flies were landing on me and drinking my sweat and I just wanted to button the door back up and stay cool inside so I searched for the closest parts store that had the part in stock and went there to buy it for $45. (I did return the 2 wrong parts but did not get a full refund, but I'm ok with that...$16 back in my pocket is better than $0) Reassembling the door l

Universal Speedometer/Tachometer install

I wanted to replace my original speedometer and tachometer for something more compact. I'm not sure why, but the original 85mph speedometer always bothered me. I guess I felt like the bike deserved better even though I've only pinned it once in 10 years of riding.   After casually looking around and almost pulling the trigger on a cheaper universal speedo with an analog sweep needle for the tach, I stumbled across this product. It can be found in all the usual places such as Amazon and eBay but it's usually buried behind 2 or 3 pages of search results with vastly different prices ranging from mid 40s to mid 80s (US$). The description typically includes a listing of what each wire is intended to be connected to, but in typical fashion for these kinds of imported products the English translation leaves a lot to be desired. For example: the product detail notes: "Oil Quantity Indicator" as one of the display areas, but they really mean fuel level (my bike doesn't

GSX-R750 Caruretor swap for the CB750c Part1

As an owner of an early 80s cb750, it quickly becomes obvious that the CV carburetors on these old motorcycles require the original airbox to run properly. It would seem like a minor price to pay for the reliability and dependability that we get with the design since no jetting changes are needed as we change altititude or swap exhausts. The constant vacuum (CV) design automatically compensates for the difference and keeps the bike running happily. Just don't change the airbox or use anything other than the original style airfilter. I got my bike running perfectly so I'm either a glutton for punishment or just a dumb geek who can't leave stuff alone. "If it aint broke, fix it until it is" might be my motto. People tell me I wouldn't be happy with a new bike because there would be nothing to fix. Maybe it's just a way for me to keep my mind busy so I don't have to think how much I hate my job. I started noticing some posts from people on cb1100f