Skip to main content

Back to stock(ish)

After spending the 2011 riding season with the GSXR750 carbs on my cb750 I'm planning on going back to the stock carbs and airbox. I have also returned the bike to the OEM oil filter after it seemed like I needed more oil cooling capacity in the original finned oil filter cover.

I've already written about the advantages of the bst36ss carbs and now I will provide a summary of the dis-advantages of the carbs for me and why I'm going back to stock.

After spending a few weeks tweaking the fuel mix, the insulators and the lines, I found that the carbs would get rich after the bike warmed up on hot days, but would run just fine on cooler days.

After a nice run on the highway she would start idling lower at stop lights and then die out without throttle or choke (but only on the warm days). I was a bit surprised to find in the last ride I took in cold weather, she wasn't running right either. I don't want to spend much more on this bike in 2012 so I can save a few bucks.

I think she needs a jetkit so I can run a bit leaner but the cost of the jetkit will be over $100 compared to new insulators for the old carbs for around $75. The cheaper OEM route is winning now, especially after picking up a high performance motorcycle which allows me to take the cb750 back closer to stock performance and stock reliability.

Now that I have a new bike, I can appreciate having a bike that won't start giving me trouble an hour away from home because of something I changed. I also want to see if my initial observation of improved performance with the gixxer carbs was realistic or just my imagination.

I will give the original carbs the once over to ensure they are clean and ready for the 2012 riding season for the days I choose not to ride the Street Triple.

I should hold onto the gixxer carbs for my 2013 decision but I want to sell them now to make a few hundred bucks for Street Triple accesories.... patience. Need patience.

Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

Comments

  1. I ended up selling the carbs in 2015 and using the money to buy parts for an old Honda accord that I got from my brother in law. I'm also trying to sell my street triple but there is no interest in the land of Harleys

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

how to open your door when neither handle works

My recently acquired 2003 Honda Accord EX 4 cyl had a faulty door lock actuator in the front passenger side door.  Here is a run down of what I did wrong in case you find yourself in a similiar situation. Shopping for door lock actuators - Prices go from around $10 to over $40. I mistakenly ordered a pair of door lock actuators ($20 for left and right) for a coupe and received 2 black actuators that were not sized correctly for my 4 door sedan which has smaller white actuators. I did not discover the problem until after I had the door panel off and the actuator removed from the door latch assembly. It was hot, the flies were landing on me and drinking my sweat and I just wanted to button the door back up and stay cool inside so I searched for the closest parts store that had the part in stock and went there to buy it for $45. (I did return the 2 wrong parts but did not get a full refund, but I'm ok with that...$16 back in my pocket is better than $0) Reassembling the door l

Universal Speedometer/Tachometer install

I wanted to replace my original speedometer and tachometer for something more compact. I'm not sure why, but the original 85mph speedometer always bothered me. I guess I felt like the bike deserved better even though I've only pinned it once in 10 years of riding.   After casually looking around and almost pulling the trigger on a cheaper universal speedo with an analog sweep needle for the tach, I stumbled across this product. It can be found in all the usual places such as Amazon and eBay but it's usually buried behind 2 or 3 pages of search results with vastly different prices ranging from mid 40s to mid 80s (US$). The description typically includes a listing of what each wire is intended to be connected to, but in typical fashion for these kinds of imported products the English translation leaves a lot to be desired. For example: the product detail notes: "Oil Quantity Indicator" as one of the display areas, but they really mean fuel level (my bike doesn't

GSX-R750 Caruretor swap for the CB750c Part1

As an owner of an early 80s cb750, it quickly becomes obvious that the CV carburetors on these old motorcycles require the original airbox to run properly. It would seem like a minor price to pay for the reliability and dependability that we get with the design since no jetting changes are needed as we change altititude or swap exhausts. The constant vacuum (CV) design automatically compensates for the difference and keeps the bike running happily. Just don't change the airbox or use anything other than the original style airfilter. I got my bike running perfectly so I'm either a glutton for punishment or just a dumb geek who can't leave stuff alone. "If it aint broke, fix it until it is" might be my motto. People tell me I wouldn't be happy with a new bike because there would be nothing to fix. Maybe it's just a way for me to keep my mind busy so I don't have to think how much I hate my job. I started noticing some posts from people on cb1100f