Skip to main content

A bent control arm

In a previous post I introduced my new used 2003 Honda Accord.  In low speed driving it felt like I was driving a new car but after more time at the wheel and more miles I have noticed a few things I don't really like.

The soft suspension is great at low speed but high speed undulations in the road makes the car feel floaty and there's a little more unexpected movement that I can feel which is simply not right.  There is a very subtle side to side sway on dips like the rear wants to kick out a bit and when I removed the left rear wheel to investigate the cause of the negative camber on that wheel I found a bent leading control arm. I had no idea what to call this part until I located a parts diagram listing the trailing and leading arms.





This should have been something that was repaired by the body shop that repaired the accident damage but I guess if you are not careful in choosing a repair place and you don't know to check the work, they can get away with just about anything.  I think it's a little unsettling to think that a repair shop could cut corners so much that safety might be an issue.  I found that the hidden rear bumper discharge vent was not replaced even though it was severely damaged.  They simply taped it to keep it from falling apart and jammed it back in place.  The lock on the fuel door was removed and now the bent leading arm.

un-ethical repair practices are just plain wrong in my book and I wonder if it can be contributed to the repairs being performed by people trained to be dishonest from a different culture or if it's simply a desire to stretch profitability on a repair beyond what is considered reasonable and safe.

Maybe they couldn't replace the part due to some frame problem and I would have liked to use the  adjustable camber link I ordered to replace both sides and hopefully get around a slightly crooked frame.  Luckily, I recently sold the slingshot carbs from a past project on my 1980 cb750c and was able to use the proceeds to buy adjustable upper camber links and part of the  rear camber links.


The plan was to replace the right rear first, setting the link lengths for both sides since the left side is bent. Unfortunately when I finally got the car up, I figured that the kit with the longer arms on the right is actually the leading and trailing arms for one side of the car.

It appears that I could simply use them to replace the leading arms on both sides since they are the same dimensional size and adjustable but when I compared them to the stock arms, the new adjustable units are a bit longer than stock as well as the fork bracket being a little too wide where it connects to the spindle at the wheel.

Aftermarket adjustable control arm is too wide

The adjustable arm is too long  with no way to adjust for the extra length.


I replaced the shorter camber links and ran off to Autozone to find an OEM replacement for the one bent arm but they only have the trailing arm to order.  It would appear that the only difference between the trailing and leading arm is the small bracket to hold the brake line and I think I can simply use the part that I ordered.

I've requested a refund of the  adjustable arms and sent them pictures describing my problem and just noticed that they pulled the ad for these arms thanks to my 2 star review and probably to figure out what the problem is with their product.

Before: note the bent control arm on the right

During: HF Ball Joint separator and new control arm

After: New upper camber arm and leading control arm
The bent control arm shortened the control arm by about 1 inch and this resulted in problems with toe and camber.  The car drives roughly the same but I'm expecting the side to side sway will be gone on the high speed dips in the road as well as improved handling. I think I feel some imaginary improvement in stiffness from the 2 new control arms but anyone else would feel no difference in before or after driving. However, I'm certain this is far safer and more economical (tire wear).

Update:
From the pictures you can see that there is very little rust underneath.  For a 12 year old NYC car this looks really good, but I know the original owner hardly drove the car at all and probably never on slushy salted roads.

This car drives great and I can confidently go above 80mph without fear of being tossed into another lane by the side to side sway which, as I expected, is now completely gone.  What a pleasure it is now to drive this car.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Universal Speedometer/Tachometer install

I wanted to replace my original speedometer and tachometer for something more compact. I'm not sure why, but the original 85mph speedometer always bothered me. I guess I felt like the bike deserved better even though I've only pinned it once in 10 years of riding.   After casually looking around and almost pulling the trigger on a cheaper universal speedo with an analog sweep needle for the tach, I stumbled across this product. It can be found in all the usual places such as Amazon and eBay but it's usually buried behind 2 or 3 pages of search results with vastly different prices ranging from mid 40s to mid 80s (US$). The description typically includes a listing of what each wire is intended to be connected to, but in typical fashion for these kinds of imported products the English translation leaves a lot to be desired. For example: the product detail notes: "Oil Quantity Indicator" as one of the display areas, but they really mean fuel level (my bike doesn't

how to open your door when neither handle works

My recently acquired 2003 Honda Accord EX 4 cyl had a faulty door lock actuator in the front passenger side door.  Here is a run down of what I did wrong in case you find yourself in a similiar situation. Shopping for door lock actuators - Prices go from around $10 to over $40. I mistakenly ordered a pair of door lock actuators ($20 for left and right) for a coupe and received 2 black actuators that were not sized correctly for my 4 door sedan which has smaller white actuators. I did not discover the problem until after I had the door panel off and the actuator removed from the door latch assembly. It was hot, the flies were landing on me and drinking my sweat and I just wanted to button the door back up and stay cool inside so I searched for the closest parts store that had the part in stock and went there to buy it for $45. (I did return the 2 wrong parts but did not get a full refund, but I'm ok with that...$16 back in my pocket is better than $0) Reassembling the door l

GSX-R750 Caruretor swap for the CB750c Part1

As an owner of an early 80s cb750, it quickly becomes obvious that the CV carburetors on these old motorcycles require the original airbox to run properly. It would seem like a minor price to pay for the reliability and dependability that we get with the design since no jetting changes are needed as we change altititude or swap exhausts. The constant vacuum (CV) design automatically compensates for the difference and keeps the bike running happily. Just don't change the airbox or use anything other than the original style airfilter. I got my bike running perfectly so I'm either a glutton for punishment or just a dumb geek who can't leave stuff alone. "If it aint broke, fix it until it is" might be my motto. People tell me I wouldn't be happy with a new bike because there would be nothing to fix. Maybe it's just a way for me to keep my mind busy so I don't have to think how much I hate my job. I started noticing some posts from people on cb1100f