Skip to main content

A free car


My wife's father could no longer drive his car and it sat in his driveway for a few years before we offered to take it off the family's hands as a gift to his grand daughter.


The 2000 Subaru Impreza is very quickly disappearing from the streets as people junk them after the cars give up the ghost.

Sometimes the devil you know could be much better than the devil you don't know. This car has been in a terrible broadside collision (once as the receiver and once as the giver) and didn't see very much routine maintenance except for regular oil changes.

The Kelly blue book average retail price goes up to $4,000 in my area(for a pristine example which this car is clearly not) and that would likely be for a car that still needs work. I figured I have room for repairs and maintenance work.

Before we could drive the car across half of the united States I had my brother take the car to his trusted mechanic to replace both of the rear wheel bearings, change the front and rear diff fluid and change the timing belt and water pump and give it an oil change.

Over the next few months, I continued with more work and the car now drives much better.

I estimate that I have roughly $2,800 in the car and it's running very well except for terrible road noise emanating from the rear (sounds like failing rear diff or rear wheel bearing)  and also terrible rust on the sill panels near the wheel wells.  If she holds out for another  year or two I might be able to trade it and my motorcycle in for a newer car but time will tell how everything goes.

There is some sentimental attachment to the car since my father-in-law recently passed.  All the dings from accidents caused by his impatience and the crazy pry marks in the front door when he absolutely had to get into the car after an ice storm froze everything shut.

She looks pretty good from 20ft away. I still hope to swap out the radio for a slightly better unit, add some new speakers to the rear doors and tint the windows over the summer.

work performed since taking ownership:

  • Timing belt, water pump, accessory belts
  • Engine oil change
  • Front Diff fluid (2x) - diy
  • Rear Diff fluid (2x) - diy
  • Transmission drain and fill (2x) - diy
  • Power steering fluid (2x) - diy
  • Brake fluid replaced - diy
  • Rear brake shoes - diy
  • Front brake pads (Ceramic) - diy
  • Left rear wheel bearing
  • Right rear wheel bearing (2x)
  • Front right CV Boot
  • New Radio and front door speakers - diy
  • Wheel alignment
  • Front Wheel stud replaced - diy
  • Sound proof insulation installed in rear cargo area - diy
  • new irridium spark plugs and air filter - diy
  • Ceramic 35% Tint - diy
  • Upgraded engine grounds with spare 12 gauge wire (battery to body, body to engine) - diy
  • New Ignition coil and spark plug wires to resolve a stumbling idle (misfire) - diy

This car had the misfortune of 2 failed wheel bearing installs by separate mechanics within an 8 month span and less than 1k miles. One of the mechanics was our family's trusted and honest mechanic. The wheel bearing was immediately noisy when we picked up the car but thinking it was the beginnings of a noisy failing rear diff, we drove it home.

After the sound became unbearable, I took the car to a local mechanic to find out how much a replacement diff would cost but they gave me a diagnosis of a failed wheel bearing and rather than risk another failed install, I decided to take the car to a Subaru dealer to the tune of $600 but if the repair holds it will be well worth the money spent. The car was quiet when we picked it up so we are hopeful.


upcoming
  • upstream O2 sensor
  • transmission filter

Comments

  1. After spend $15 for a new mp3 'mechless' radio we were not happy with the fm sensitivity so I decided to upgrade to a $20 radio with discounts from Walmart. I got the Boss Audio 612UA which has better fm reception as well as twice the power of the cheaper and flimsier dual brand radio.

    I added some cheap Boss 5.25" rear speakers to complement the 6.5" component speakers in the front and the system sounds really great for less than $100 including the cost of the speakers that didn't fit in the back and the extra radio that I threw in the trash.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

how to open your door when neither handle works

My recently acquired 2003 Honda Accord EX 4 cyl had a faulty door lock actuator in the front passenger side door.  Here is a run down of what I did wrong in case you find yourself in a similiar situation. Shopping for door lock actuators - Prices go from around $10 to over $40. I mistakenly ordered a pair of door lock actuators ($20 for left and right) for a coupe and received 2 black actuators that were not sized correctly for my 4 door sedan which has smaller white actuators. I did not discover the problem until after I had the door panel off and the actuator removed from the door latch assembly. It was hot, the flies were landing on me and drinking my sweat and I just wanted to button the door back up and stay cool inside so I searched for the closest parts store that had the part in stock and went there to buy it for $45. (I did return the 2 wrong parts but did not get a full refund, but I'm ok with that...$16 back in my pocket is better than $0) Reassembling the door l

Universal Speedometer/Tachometer install

I wanted to replace my original speedometer and tachometer for something more compact. I'm not sure why, but the original 85mph speedometer always bothered me. I guess I felt like the bike deserved better even though I've only pinned it once in 10 years of riding.   After casually looking around and almost pulling the trigger on a cheaper universal speedo with an analog sweep needle for the tach, I stumbled across this product. It can be found in all the usual places such as Amazon and eBay but it's usually buried behind 2 or 3 pages of search results with vastly different prices ranging from mid 40s to mid 80s (US$). The description typically includes a listing of what each wire is intended to be connected to, but in typical fashion for these kinds of imported products the English translation leaves a lot to be desired. For example: the product detail notes: "Oil Quantity Indicator" as one of the display areas, but they really mean fuel level (my bike doesn't

GSX-R750 Caruretor swap for the CB750c Part1

As an owner of an early 80s cb750, it quickly becomes obvious that the CV carburetors on these old motorcycles require the original airbox to run properly. It would seem like a minor price to pay for the reliability and dependability that we get with the design since no jetting changes are needed as we change altititude or swap exhausts. The constant vacuum (CV) design automatically compensates for the difference and keeps the bike running happily. Just don't change the airbox or use anything other than the original style airfilter. I got my bike running perfectly so I'm either a glutton for punishment or just a dumb geek who can't leave stuff alone. "If it aint broke, fix it until it is" might be my motto. People tell me I wouldn't be happy with a new bike because there would be nothing to fix. Maybe it's just a way for me to keep my mind busy so I don't have to think how much I hate my job. I started noticing some posts from people on cb1100f