Skip to main content

2003 accord no heat on driver's side

During the coldest days of the winter I discovered that I was not getting any heat on the driver's side of my car. At first I thought it was because my commute to work was too short to properly heat up the car until the day I drove my other car to work and had a toasty interior before I was 4 blocks away from my house.

Most of the people complaining about a similar issue had dual climate but my car does not have it.  I found a video of someone who replaced his heater valve and it looked straight forward and cheap enough for me to go ahead and order the $22 part just so I can have some heat in case another cold spell came through before the end of winter.

Here's a picture of the new valve installed on my car. It's located under the hood on the passenger side mounted to the firewall.  Replacement was about 30 minutes.

Here's a few of my tips for free diagnosis so you don't need to buy a cheap replacement part if you come across the same issue.


this valve has a very limited range of motion. The arm (as pictured) in the 9:00 position is full warm with 12:00 position being full cool.  If you're experiencing a problem, try pulling off that little wire and manually moving the lever to the 9:00 position and see if your heat situation changes. The motor that controls that wire also moves an air mix door and is located near the gas pedal inside the cabin.

When I pulled off my old valve, I discovered that it moves fairly freely from open to closed so I figured the problem is either elsehwere in the HVAC system or that cable is mis-adjusted.  To set the length properly, I turned on the engine and set the temp to full hot and clamped that cable down such that the arm is in the 9:00 position.

Double check that on full cold the cable retracts enough to pull the arm to the 12:00 position.

My heat feels hotter now but the left most vent still does not get hot enough. I'm not sure if the new valve and cable adjustment will make any difference when the temperature outside is 0 or less. I did take out the lower dash cover on the driver's side and look at the operation of the air mix motor which appears to be working through the full range so I'm a bit at a loss but will hold judgement for a really cold day... perhaps next winter since this one is just about over for us in the south.

EDIT:
November 2018
The heater control valve helped a little but I still froze on the coldest days of of the 2017/2018 winter.  One particular 10 degree morning when the windshield refused to defrost all the way to work and I knew I had to do something about this car sooner rather than later. Luckily, the rest of last winter was mild enough to not suffer too much.

With the winter of 2018/2019 about to start, I took advantage of the last warm weekend and replaced the thermostat with an aftermarket Beck Arnley that I picked up from an online parts seller ($35, I know, throwing money at a problem is not the best way to fix a problem).  The thermostat made absolutely no difference, so I bit the bullet and performed the last possible fix that could cause a partial heat loss.

I struggled with the heater core hoses and clamps and finally managed to remove them where they attached to the engine.  I carefully inserted the hose from the heater control valve into an empty container and applied some pressurized air to clear out the remaining coolant in the heater core.  Only a few bits of dirt came out and then I attached a garden hose to the outlet hose and ran some water through it, then some air to clear it out and finally swapped directions and flushed it with water and air again.

Besides a few small flakes of dirt and a little sand (how the heck does sand get into the coolant????), there was not much trapped in the heater core, but I'm definitely getting serious heat on the driver's side now even though I didn't bother using any heater core cleaning solutions.

Not sure how small the coolant passages are that a little bit of dirt could cause such a heating issue, but maybe the heater core was just never properly bled.  I parked the car on a slight incline in my driveway and filled the radiator.  I partially closed the radiator and let the car run until the fan turned on, then I refilled it and repeated the procedure 2 more times until the radiator was still full after the engine cooled and I checked the coolant level.

Looking forward to driving it in the cold now and also, I can let one of the kids take it without worrying about freezing to death in the northern climates.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

how to open your door when neither handle works

My recently acquired 2003 Honda Accord EX 4 cyl had a faulty door lock actuator in the front passenger side door.  Here is a run down of what I did wrong in case you find yourself in a similiar situation. Shopping for door lock actuators - Prices go from around $10 to over $40. I mistakenly ordered a pair of door lock actuators ($20 for left and right) for a coupe and received 2 black actuators that were not sized correctly for my 4 door sedan which has smaller white actuators. I did not discover the problem until after I had the door panel off and the actuator removed from the door latch assembly. It was hot, the flies were landing on me and drinking my sweat and I just wanted to button the door back up and stay cool inside so I searched for the closest parts store that had the part in stock and went there to buy it for $45. (I did return the 2 wrong parts but did not get a full refund, but I'm ok with that...$16 back in my pocket is better than $0) Reassembling the door l

Universal Speedometer/Tachometer install

I wanted to replace my original speedometer and tachometer for something more compact. I'm not sure why, but the original 85mph speedometer always bothered me. I guess I felt like the bike deserved better even though I've only pinned it once in 10 years of riding.   After casually looking around and almost pulling the trigger on a cheaper universal speedo with an analog sweep needle for the tach, I stumbled across this product. It can be found in all the usual places such as Amazon and eBay but it's usually buried behind 2 or 3 pages of search results with vastly different prices ranging from mid 40s to mid 80s (US$). The description typically includes a listing of what each wire is intended to be connected to, but in typical fashion for these kinds of imported products the English translation leaves a lot to be desired. For example: the product detail notes: "Oil Quantity Indicator" as one of the display areas, but they really mean fuel level (my bike doesn't

GSX-R750 Caruretor swap for the CB750c Part1

As an owner of an early 80s cb750, it quickly becomes obvious that the CV carburetors on these old motorcycles require the original airbox to run properly. It would seem like a minor price to pay for the reliability and dependability that we get with the design since no jetting changes are needed as we change altititude or swap exhausts. The constant vacuum (CV) design automatically compensates for the difference and keeps the bike running happily. Just don't change the airbox or use anything other than the original style airfilter. I got my bike running perfectly so I'm either a glutton for punishment or just a dumb geek who can't leave stuff alone. "If it aint broke, fix it until it is" might be my motto. People tell me I wouldn't be happy with a new bike because there would be nothing to fix. Maybe it's just a way for me to keep my mind busy so I don't have to think how much I hate my job. I started noticing some posts from people on cb1100f