Skip to main content

Nighthawk CB750 rear wheel swap part 2 - parts and painting


With my last paycheck, I ordered a few more items from ebay.  The brake panel (with decent pad material), the Nighthawk axle which also came with the swing arm parts for securing the axle, chain adjuster and a nighthawk chain guard. I also ordered the drive mechanism along with the cush drive parts.

I'm trying to be careful to order the parts that come with more bits because if I'm missing something and need to order another part, it's another shipping charge. I'm quickly discovering that though these parts don't cost a lot of money, the shipping charges can be easily 2-5x the cost of the part.  Free shipping is your friend if they don't pad the cost of the shipping into the part (surprise, they do).

One of the first options I have to consider is swapping the wheel without swapping the swing arm.  Since the Nighthawk (NH) wheel has a 17mm axle and the CB750c (CB) has a 20mm axle I would need to look into widening the NH wheel to accept the larger 20mm axle. I suspect that I could just find a 20mm sleeve  to slip onto the 17mm axle where it attaches to the swing arm, but it seems like other people on the web have drilled everything out to 20mm.  The brake panel has enough meat to drill out that first hole to 20mm. I'm expecting to need to decrease the CB spacers to accommodate the wider NH wheel (measurement TBD NH vs CB spacers).  The NH wheel bearings could be replaced and the spacer between these bearings would need to be replaced.

The potential trouble spot is in the drive assembly (I like to call it the cush drive). There is a coupling which doubles as a spacer. It ensures that when the axle bolt is tightened down, there is no excess pressure applied to any of the bearings because the spacer takes the tightening pressure. I could not find a suitable size of bearing as part of the swap. I'm listing in #3 below the closest wheel bearing that I could find. I think a washer of suitable diameter could make up for the lost height of the bearing. The drive bearing is actually 20mm ID and you could just slide the CB axle in there without changing it but without a spacer, the outer bearing will get damaged when the axle nut is torqued down and there's no easy way to just throw a couple of washers in the drive assembly because you would not be able to put the axle through it and keep the washer in place.  I think keeping it simple would work better especially for whoever owns and maintains this bike after me.  In 10 years I may no longer remember what I changed on this bike over the years. Hopefully, this blog will still exist so I can remember all the parts that come from other bikes.

parts needed for retaining the 20mm axle (guesstimate, I have not performed a test fit with these parts):

  1. 2 wheel bearings: 6204-rd 20mm ID, 47mm OD, 14mm width
  2. spacer tube (see #5 "axle distance collar" from the parts diagram - measurement TBD)
  3. 6005-2RS 25mm ID, 47mm OD, 12mm width
  4. shouldered coupling (see #6 "axle distance collar" from the parts diagram - measurement TBD )
  5. resized wheel spacers
Ultimately, I think the path of least resistance is to swap the swingarm along with the wheel since it should already be centered and not need different sized sleeves, bearings or different spacers. Using the axle components from the Nighthawk except for any changes needed for the sprocket spacing.  I'll pick up a NH swingarm hopefully with free shipping when I get paid again.  The other reason I want to swap is to gain the lighter and stiffer NH swingarm even though I would need to replace the shocks due to the different mounting. I could fashion an adapter to use my existing cheap Emgo shocks, but they were always something to put on there just to get the bike on the road back when I first resurrected this bike from the dead. I'll probably buy something a little better, but I know $4-500 shocks are not in my budget unless I can find them used.  Those popular piggyback shocks look out of place to me on an older bike so I'll try to avoid that style.

After I washed the new NH wheel with some wheel spray cleaner and hosed everything off, I got some discoloration since the wheels are likely bare aluminum. I was planning on painting them black so I cleaned and lightly sanded off whatever junk was left and then painted them with Rustoleum Automotive etching primer, Automotive gloss black and Automotive Clear gloss. I really wanted matte black, but decided to keep all the paint in the same family for compatibility and hopefully durability.

I'm not building a show bike.  I'm happy looking at it from about 5 feet and not with a magnifying glass so the finish just needs to be durable and fairly even. Now it even matches the black brake panel that I got from ebay.

The cb750 swingarm weighs approximately 13lbs compared to the Nighthawk swingarm's 10.4lbs

By swapping over to the Nighthawk wheel and swingarm I would save approximately 5-6 lbs of unsprung weight (just for the wheel and tire)!!! This is a pretty good weight savings and should translate to an improvement in ride quality and (maybe) acceleration over the stock parts. After adding the weight of the axel, brake panel and cush drives into the comparison, I save an additional 2.5 lbs since the nighthawk parts are smaller and lighter compared to the cb750. Figure a 9-10 lb savings overall.

nighthawk parts diagram

=======


Brake panel
already painted black by previous owner



Brake panel

Cush drive - sprocket side


cush drive - damper side

shouldered coupling



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

how to open your door when neither handle works

My recently acquired 2003 Honda Accord EX 4 cyl had a faulty door lock actuator in the front passenger side door.  Here is a run down of what I did wrong in case you find yourself in a similiar situation. Shopping for door lock actuators - Prices go from around $10 to over $40. I mistakenly ordered a pair of door lock actuators ($20 for left and right) for a coupe and received 2 black actuators that were not sized correctly for my 4 door sedan which has smaller white actuators. I did not discover the problem until after I had the door panel off and the actuator removed from the door latch assembly. It was hot, the flies were landing on me and drinking my sweat and I just wanted to button the door back up and stay cool inside so I searched for the closest parts store that had the part in stock and went there to buy it for $45. (I did return the 2 wrong parts but did not get a full refund, but I'm ok with that...$16 back in my pocket is better than $0) Reassembling the door l

Universal Speedometer/Tachometer install

I wanted to replace my original speedometer and tachometer for something more compact. I'm not sure why, but the original 85mph speedometer always bothered me. I guess I felt like the bike deserved better even though I've only pinned it once in 10 years of riding.   After casually looking around and almost pulling the trigger on a cheaper universal speedo with an analog sweep needle for the tach, I stumbled across this product. It can be found in all the usual places such as Amazon and eBay but it's usually buried behind 2 or 3 pages of search results with vastly different prices ranging from mid 40s to mid 80s (US$). The description typically includes a listing of what each wire is intended to be connected to, but in typical fashion for these kinds of imported products the English translation leaves a lot to be desired. For example: the product detail notes: "Oil Quantity Indicator" as one of the display areas, but they really mean fuel level (my bike doesn't

GSX-R750 Caruretor swap for the CB750c Part1

As an owner of an early 80s cb750, it quickly becomes obvious that the CV carburetors on these old motorcycles require the original airbox to run properly. It would seem like a minor price to pay for the reliability and dependability that we get with the design since no jetting changes are needed as we change altititude or swap exhausts. The constant vacuum (CV) design automatically compensates for the difference and keeps the bike running happily. Just don't change the airbox or use anything other than the original style airfilter. I got my bike running perfectly so I'm either a glutton for punishment or just a dumb geek who can't leave stuff alone. "If it aint broke, fix it until it is" might be my motto. People tell me I wouldn't be happy with a new bike because there would be nothing to fix. Maybe it's just a way for me to keep my mind busy so I don't have to think how much I hate my job. I started noticing some posts from people on cb1100f