Skip to main content

Nighthawk CB750 rear wheel swap part 3 - reconditioning the swingarm

I got a dirty swingarm for a decent price with free shipping. I guess nobody really wants Nighthawk parts. I had some free time over the weekend so instead of letting the swingarm just sit there until winter, I decided to hose it down and degrease it.  When that was done, I still had time to kill so I started to remove the swingarm pivot bearings.  There is an unsealed round bearing on the right side and a needle bearing on the left side. I decided to replace both even though only the needle bearing appeared to need replacement (it was gritty and had some play in it before I started wacking on it).

Although the round bearing came out pretty easily with a few wacks from the other side with a nice rod I had laying around from repairing my garage door, the needle bearing would not move because it was recessed in the cavity essentially evading the prodding from my smooth rod.  I tried some penetrating spray and discovered that a threaded rod with a skirted nut could give me enough of a catch on the needle bearing lip to get some movement when I brought out my big hammer.  Don't bother trying the concrete anchor that is making the rounds on youtube, I tried the biggest one available at home depot (5/8") and couldn't get it to do much from either direction.


The swingarm is made from square tubing so most of it is hollow.  I found a little mud and rust inside the swing arm near the pivot so I sprayed some water with a garden hose and then once it dried out, a little primer with the hope of sealing it a little, but the air column in the sealed tube prevented the paint from getting very far.  I found a can of oil based rustoleum paint from one of my wife's projects and poured some into the cap of a can of spray paint to carefully pour into each arm of the swing arm.  A little tilting backwards and forwards and I got the inside of the swing arm coated. (Unfortunately in bright red).  An absolutely unnecessary step that gave me something to do while I wait for parts on a rainy Sunday.

I've primed the scratches and rust spots and have repainted most of the swing arm. Again, this is not going to be a show piece, so a glossy smooth finish of the paint is not a goal I'm trying to achieve.

the replacement swingarm parts are on order. Since the parts do not appear to be available as a kit, I ordered them one at a time.

  • 6202 15 x 35 x 11 (6202-2RS)
  • needle bearing 22X29X30
  • oil seal: 22X31X5 (p.n: 91202-402-003 is NLA)
  • dust seal: 22X35X7 (p/n: 91252-KV0-003 is NLA)

The weight of the new swingarm with bearings and collars/spacers is: 10.4 lbs (~2.5 pounds savings)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

how to open your door when neither handle works

My recently acquired 2003 Honda Accord EX 4 cyl had a faulty door lock actuator in the front passenger side door.  Here is a run down of what I did wrong in case you find yourself in a similiar situation. Shopping for door lock actuators - Prices go from around $10 to over $40. I mistakenly ordered a pair of door lock actuators ($20 for left and right) for a coupe and received 2 black actuators that were not sized correctly for my 4 door sedan which has smaller white actuators. I did not discover the problem until after I had the door panel off and the actuator removed from the door latch assembly. It was hot, the flies were landing on me and drinking my sweat and I just wanted to button the door back up and stay cool inside so I searched for the closest parts store that had the part in stock and went there to buy it for $45. (I did return the 2 wrong parts but did not get a full refund, but I'm ok with that...$16 back in my pocket is better than $0) Reassembling the door l

Universal Speedometer/Tachometer install

I wanted to replace my original speedometer and tachometer for something more compact. I'm not sure why, but the original 85mph speedometer always bothered me. I guess I felt like the bike deserved better even though I've only pinned it once in 10 years of riding.   After casually looking around and almost pulling the trigger on a cheaper universal speedo with an analog sweep needle for the tach, I stumbled across this product. It can be found in all the usual places such as Amazon and eBay but it's usually buried behind 2 or 3 pages of search results with vastly different prices ranging from mid 40s to mid 80s (US$). The description typically includes a listing of what each wire is intended to be connected to, but in typical fashion for these kinds of imported products the English translation leaves a lot to be desired. For example: the product detail notes: "Oil Quantity Indicator" as one of the display areas, but they really mean fuel level (my bike doesn't

GSX-R750 Caruretor swap for the CB750c Part1

As an owner of an early 80s cb750, it quickly becomes obvious that the CV carburetors on these old motorcycles require the original airbox to run properly. It would seem like a minor price to pay for the reliability and dependability that we get with the design since no jetting changes are needed as we change altititude or swap exhausts. The constant vacuum (CV) design automatically compensates for the difference and keeps the bike running happily. Just don't change the airbox or use anything other than the original style airfilter. I got my bike running perfectly so I'm either a glutton for punishment or just a dumb geek who can't leave stuff alone. "If it aint broke, fix it until it is" might be my motto. People tell me I wouldn't be happy with a new bike because there would be nothing to fix. Maybe it's just a way for me to keep my mind busy so I don't have to think how much I hate my job. I started noticing some posts from people on cb1100f