Skip to main content

CB750 front end - just taking a look

I was preparing to change out the steering bearings on my cb750 and noticed that the Nighthawk 750 uses the same bearing kit.  Since the Nighthawk Swingarm swap went fairly smoothly with a moderately low effort installation, I figured.... 'what the heck', I'll order the $8 lower triple from eBay (plus $20 shipping) and see how difficult a swap would be.

My justification: I figured I could practice removing the lower bearing as well as get a measurement to compare the stem lengths. So not a complete loss even if I don't use it.  However, if they are close enough, I can probably adjust or shim the installation enough to make it a direct swap.

My dilemma: removing the old triple to get the measurements is a must and while everything is out, it doesn't make sense to put everything back without actually swapping the bearings.  If I eventually do the swap, I would need another bearing kit and would essentially be throwing out the money spent on the first bearing kit, once everything is moved over.

I guess I could justify riding 1 season on the new bearings before tossing them but that's just kind of wasteful. It's bad enough that I've swapped the rear tire before the 2 year old tires got any use.  Doing the same thing for the front is another waste of money.

Dang, I might have attention deficit disorder.

This bike has been a wonderful waste of money for me, but I could lose interest in a year and never ride it again making all the money spent on upgrades (not just those steering bearings) lost to a deep, dark hole, but at least I'm stimulating the economy and keeping someone employed along the way.

Oh, the opportunity cost of the compound interest lost on all the money I've thrown at this bike.

There's plenty of references to the stem sizes and bearings that many bikes have, but virtually no measurements of stem length for a real good understanding of what can easily swap.  I already know that if I can move to a Nighthawk front end, I would gain the ability to upgrade to 41mm regular (as opposed to upside down) forks, lighter wheels and bigger brakes, but the question is how difficult would that swap be?

In addition to about $300 for the forks, I would expect another $250 for the wheel and tire and other ancillary stuff like springs, so I know it's not going to be cheap but it's not crazy expensive either. I'll need to be careful and methodical so I don't order the wrong items.

I think I need to compare wheel specs to get a better understanding of a way forward after measuring everything, so a riding season with the old forks and new bearings sounds reasonable while I collect the parts for the swap perhaps next winter.

I've stepped on a slippery slope.

During my research, I discovered that a VFR750 triple also uses the same bearings and thus is a possible swap candidate.  The parts seem to be cheaper than Nighthawk parts too, so I ordered a lower triple for $20 shipped because the stem looks like it's the same length as the CB750c based on an eBay vendor who likes to post pictures with a ruler next to his parts. Since I'm a cheap squeaking bastard at heart, I have to justify this purchase so here goes:

By purchasing the VFR750 lower AND the Nighthawk 750 lower, I can check the stem length as well as check for the interchangeability of the fork spacing between the NH and VFR.

I already know that the wheel, axle and tire sizes are the same but purchasing this extra extra lower for research purposes will give me the understanding if I can use NH and VFR parts interchangeably.  Single or Dual caliper? matching wheels with the back or mismatched? Nighthawk upper with a VFR750 lower?

After receiving both lowers, I started dismantling the front end of my CB750c and discovered very quickly that both the Nighthawk and the VFR do not fit. It was a long shot, but .....  nothing ventured, nothing gained. The bearing looked like it was updated and fairly fresh compared to the bearings on the Nighthawk and VFR lowers I had, however I felt a slight catch in the range of movement, which would be indicative of a need for attention. I could have tried to re-grease them and install everything back, but I have the replacement bearings and the old ones looked kinda dry, so it made sense to go ahead and replace them. That slight catch could have been an out of round roller or a worn race even though the bearing looked nice and fresh.

Part of me feels a sense of relief at not being able to spend the money on the upgrade parts, but it does not mean I've closed the book on this effort. I've probably just kicked the can down the road a little until I find a place where I can do a stem swap or a way to do it. I'm going to grind off the stem weld and give a couple of good wacks with my BFG (big friggin hammer).

I have measured the triples using the following generic diagram by referring to A, B, C for measurements

A: distance from top of the lower to the seat for the upper bearing
B: distance from top of the lower to the top of the stem
C: distance from the outer edge of the fork clamp to the other side

Bike Dimension A Dimension B Dimension C Offset
Nighthawk 750 (93-2001) 20.5cm26.5cm23cm 4cm
VFR 750 (90-1997) 16cm 22.5cm 23cm 3cm
CB750c (79-1982) 17.5cm 24cm 21.5cm 5cm






I would love to keep expanding these dimensions to other bikes since there is no compilation of them anywhere.  If you have any, provide them in the comments and I'll update the table.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

how to open your door when neither handle works

My recently acquired 2003 Honda Accord EX 4 cyl had a faulty door lock actuator in the front passenger side door.  Here is a run down of what I did wrong in case you find yourself in a similiar situation. Shopping for door lock actuators - Prices go from around $10 to over $40. I mistakenly ordered a pair of door lock actuators ($20 for left and right) for a coupe and received 2 black actuators that were not sized correctly for my 4 door sedan which has smaller white actuators. I did not discover the problem until after I had the door panel off and the actuator removed from the door latch assembly. It was hot, the flies were landing on me and drinking my sweat and I just wanted to button the door back up and stay cool inside so I searched for the closest parts store that had the part in stock and went there to buy it for $45. (I did return the 2 wrong parts but did not get a full refund, but I'm ok with that...$16 back in my pocket is better than $0) Reassembling the door l

Universal Speedometer/Tachometer install

I wanted to replace my original speedometer and tachometer for something more compact. I'm not sure why, but the original 85mph speedometer always bothered me. I guess I felt like the bike deserved better even though I've only pinned it once in 10 years of riding.   After casually looking around and almost pulling the trigger on a cheaper universal speedo with an analog sweep needle for the tach, I stumbled across this product. It can be found in all the usual places such as Amazon and eBay but it's usually buried behind 2 or 3 pages of search results with vastly different prices ranging from mid 40s to mid 80s (US$). The description typically includes a listing of what each wire is intended to be connected to, but in typical fashion for these kinds of imported products the English translation leaves a lot to be desired. For example: the product detail notes: "Oil Quantity Indicator" as one of the display areas, but they really mean fuel level (my bike doesn't

GSX-R750 Caruretor swap for the CB750c Part1

As an owner of an early 80s cb750, it quickly becomes obvious that the CV carburetors on these old motorcycles require the original airbox to run properly. It would seem like a minor price to pay for the reliability and dependability that we get with the design since no jetting changes are needed as we change altititude or swap exhausts. The constant vacuum (CV) design automatically compensates for the difference and keeps the bike running happily. Just don't change the airbox or use anything other than the original style airfilter. I got my bike running perfectly so I'm either a glutton for punishment or just a dumb geek who can't leave stuff alone. "If it aint broke, fix it until it is" might be my motto. People tell me I wouldn't be happy with a new bike because there would be nothing to fix. Maybe it's just a way for me to keep my mind busy so I don't have to think how much I hate my job. I started noticing some posts from people on cb1100f