Skip to main content

A Prius followed me home and I'm keeping it

I had a bit of a windfall in January when I sold the Tesla stock I purchased 1 month earlier and made a nice percentage gain of 50%.   Although I had hoped to use the proceeds from the Tesla stock to actually buy a Tesla, I had no where near enough money to get one of those cars and didn't want to hold the stock long enough for that to happen since I have no idea how long it would take. (looking back I now realize that if I had held out for another month, I would have gained 100%, oh well)

I started looking for a replacement car for my wife and was thinking either Mazda CX3,Toyota Prius, or Toyota RAV4. CX3 are too new to hit my price range without high miles, but not many available for sale. RAV4 is surprisingly also hard to find since people must be holding on to their cars for a long time due to extreme reliability. I thought a Prius would be easy to find since I live in truck country and nobody really cares about saving gas when it's selling for $2 a gallon but Toyota Prius seems to be fairly difficult to find also.  I knew I wanted something as new as possible since the batteries typically last 10-15 years before needing a replacement.

Clicking around to various car selling sites, I found a 2015 that had just been traded at a local Toyota dealer. It was Grey with tinted windows and was a model four which means it had more bells and whistles than the cheaper 2014, I was scheduled to test drive later in the week.

I stopped by the dealer during lunch and took a quick test drive. It was bland and slow, the driving position was odd with the steering wheel feeling slightly askew to the seating position and the right armrest was a different height than the left armrest. I was surprised after a quick trip on the highway that I didn't hate the car and decided that I could live with it. With the reputation of extreme reliability, this could be a car to last us until we can actually afford a Tesla (though we may never bother to spend the money on one).

The financial struggle in my mind: is spending $12k a good/wise frugal move? I had $14k from the stock sale but only moved $12k because I was expecting to spend less than $10k for this next car. Are the bells and whistles for this particular car worth the money and the heartache I was sure to get from my wife from spending so much cash that could be used to pay extra principal on the house?

I'm not sure why, but I enjoy tooling about with this car. Maybe the thought of a reduced carbon foot print or the easy smooth and quiet ride lends itself to a low stress easy cruising experience. It's quite a departure from the excitement I get when I drive my Miata and I kind of wonder if that makes me a little psychotic.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

how to open your door when neither handle works

My recently acquired 2003 Honda Accord EX 4 cyl had a faulty door lock actuator in the front passenger side door.  Here is a run down of what I did wrong in case you find yourself in a similiar situation. Shopping for door lock actuators - Prices go from around $10 to over $40. I mistakenly ordered a pair of door lock actuators ($20 for left and right) for a coupe and received 2 black actuators that were not sized correctly for my 4 door sedan which has smaller white actuators. I did not discover the problem until after I had the door panel off and the actuator removed from the door latch assembly. It was hot, the flies were landing on me and drinking my sweat and I just wanted to button the door back up and stay cool inside so I searched for the closest parts store that had the part in stock and went there to buy it for $45. (I did return the 2 wrong parts but did not get a full refund, but I'm ok with that...$16 back in my pocket is better than $0) Reassembling the door l

Universal Speedometer/Tachometer install

I wanted to replace my original speedometer and tachometer for something more compact. I'm not sure why, but the original 85mph speedometer always bothered me. I guess I felt like the bike deserved better even though I've only pinned it once in 10 years of riding.   After casually looking around and almost pulling the trigger on a cheaper universal speedo with an analog sweep needle for the tach, I stumbled across this product. It can be found in all the usual places such as Amazon and eBay but it's usually buried behind 2 or 3 pages of search results with vastly different prices ranging from mid 40s to mid 80s (US$). The description typically includes a listing of what each wire is intended to be connected to, but in typical fashion for these kinds of imported products the English translation leaves a lot to be desired. For example: the product detail notes: "Oil Quantity Indicator" as one of the display areas, but they really mean fuel level (my bike doesn't

GSX-R750 Caruretor swap for the CB750c Part1

As an owner of an early 80s cb750, it quickly becomes obvious that the CV carburetors on these old motorcycles require the original airbox to run properly. It would seem like a minor price to pay for the reliability and dependability that we get with the design since no jetting changes are needed as we change altititude or swap exhausts. The constant vacuum (CV) design automatically compensates for the difference and keeps the bike running happily. Just don't change the airbox or use anything other than the original style airfilter. I got my bike running perfectly so I'm either a glutton for punishment or just a dumb geek who can't leave stuff alone. "If it aint broke, fix it until it is" might be my motto. People tell me I wouldn't be happy with a new bike because there would be nothing to fix. Maybe it's just a way for me to keep my mind busy so I don't have to think how much I hate my job. I started noticing some posts from people on cb1100f